Our small group continues to bring home the medals. The Pickleball Ontario provincial championships were held in North Bay this past weekend.
Congratulations to our medal winners.
Pierrette Hebner/Kim Sajatovic - Bronze - Women's Doubles 60+ 4.0
George Ballantyne/Garry Wolfe - Bronze - Men's Doubles 60+ 3.5
Philip Candelaria/Peter Milovanovic - Gold - Men's Doubles 60 + 3.0
Philip Candelaria/Pamela Daley - Bronze - Mixed Doubles 19+ 3.0
David Solomon - Gold - Men's Singles 60+
Bud Hedner/Wayne Sawdon - Gold Men's Doubles 50+ 4.0+
Jean Rance/Catherine Betson - Bronze Women's Doubles 19+ 3.5
Philip Candelaria/John Wilson - Bronze Men's Doubles 19+ 3.0
CLINIC: We have approached Carolyn and Sid Stevens to possibly have a training clinic for August 15 in Little Current. Carolyn is a 5.0 player and her husband Sid is a 4.5 rated player.
Clinics are 2 hours in length and can be tailored to the level of the group (ideally we would have players grouped by their skill level so that we can skip the foundational skills for the more experienced players)
Types of clinics we would propose include:
Foundational Skills (people who have been playing for a few months and up to a 3.0 level)
1. Focus on serve, return of serve - some techniques but more weighted to strategies
2. 3rd shot drop and drive along with blocking of drive shots - both techniques and strategies would be covered
3. Non Volley Zone touch shots - technique, body positioning, paddle readiness and some strategies
Advanced - For partnership play and/or those interested in competition (suggest with 3.0 level or higher)
1. Quick review of strategies around serve, return of serve
2. Partnership movement (how much court should you cover and who does what), shot sequencing and resetting the point (to relieve stress). Focus would be at the kitchen but strategies and concepts apply anywhere on the court
3. 3rd shot drop/drive and how/when partners should move to the net
Note: we have the group play a few points at the start so we can see if the content we thought should be delivered is appropriate for the group. Throughout the clinic feedback is provided to each individual that is specific to them and their needs
Cost is $30/person if the numbers are 8 or less and $25/person if there are 12 or 16 (we like to work with groups divisible by 4). The most we can work with is 16 at any time (ratio of 8:1) and this would require 4 courts as we want everyone on the court playing.
If you are interested, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, June 25, 2019. If there is enough interest we will confirm with Carolyn and Sid on Thursday June 26, 2019.